How to win the heart of stressed-out journalists on deadlines
This month I've been traveling between motorcycle events and writing conferences and
the dog ate the iPhone update wiped my calendar and I forgot about my monthly spot on Sidestandup.com motorcycle radio until the host emailed to ask for the promo copy for my guest. I sent a panicked email to several travelers I know, including Ben Slavin. Not only did he say yes, but he put me at ease by including a great photo for my promo, his bio, and a list of potential questions. He agreed to let me share it here as an example of how to win the hearts of stressed-out journalists on deadlines.
Let's talk about my new Colombian motorcycle documentary - The New World Ride.
A brief background:
Eight riders from around the globe have joined filmmakers Ben Slavin and Andreas Munksgaard along with tour guide Mike Thomsen of Motolombia.com on an eight day motorcycle ride through the heart of Colombia. Infamously portrayed by the mass media as a dangerous land filled with drug traffickers and kidnappers, modern day Colombia is an overlanders paradise. With some basic street smarts, this diverse land offers heaps of safe and exciting exploration. Our group of riders set out to Experience Colombia and give the world's audience a taste of this beautiful country.
Links to the videos:
Ben Slavin is an engineer by trade, an adventurer by necessity, and a filmmaker by desire. In 2010 he rode his motorcycle from his home in New Hampshire to the sourthernmost city in the world, Ushuaia, Argentina. In 2011 he released 'Motorcycle Mexico' a how-to-guide for motorcycling in Mexico. Now in 2012, he's releasing a documentary series about adventure motorcycling in Colombia.
Potential Question List:
- What's this documentary all about?
- Tell us about some of the places you went to...
- Isn't Colombia notorious for drugs and kidnappings? Was it dangerous?
- Which is more dangerous - Colombia or Mexico?
- How did you get involved in it?
- How is this funded? Who did you partner with?
- Tell us about the equipment you used to film the ride.
- What software are you using to edit the footage?
- What is it like to be the man behind the lens on a group motorcycle tour?
- What do you want people to take away after watching this series?
- How can people learn more about you, your adventures and your documentaries?
- What does the future hold?
From the information above I put together the following short description of the spot and modified my standard flier for the show to send to the host, and I'm prepared for the 15 minute interview.
In 2011 you heard Tom talk with adventure rider Ben Slavin about motorcycle travel in Mexico, and his Motorcycle Mexico “how-to” DVD. Tonight, Miss Adventuring Carla King will talk with Ben about his new documentary series, The New World Ride, about adventure motorcycling in Colombia.
Sidestand Up Motorcycle Radio
8:00 - 9:30 pm Eastern Time
Listen online or dial-in
And join the lively chat room!